It is normal for patients to experience some degree of pain, signs, and symptoms following major surgery like the gastric sleeve Frisco.
Acquire an understanding of these symptoms, their causes, and treatment options to know more about how to overcome them and when to see a doctor for the same.
What causes these symptoms to manifest themselves?
In spite of the fact that the gastric sleeve procedure is considered major surgery, some patients may have the misconception that it is a relatively straightforward procedure due to the fact that it can be performed laparoscopically or with minimally invasive techniques.
Things are substantially different now than they were a few decades ago because of the invention of the laparoscopic procedure, advancements in surgical expertise, and faster patient recovery times. Only 30 years ago, patients undergoing gastric surgery were required to fast for more than 24–48 hours, have a nasogastric tube inserted, and stay in the hospital for 3–4 days.
We bring this up so that you have a better understanding of the scope of the procedure that is involved in either a gastric sleeve or a gastric bypass and so that you are aware that the small incisions that are seen in the abdomen are indeed only that: small incisions.
Most typical side effects experienced by patients following gastric sleeve surgery.
Variable signs and symptoms can be expected after having gastric sleeve surgery. Following is a listing of the most typical ones organized according to the stage of the patient’s healing process at which they manifest themselves.
The immediate phase following gastric sleeve surgery typically lasts between 12 and 36 hours.
- The discomfort experienced after having gastric sleeve surgery
- Having nausea and/or throwing up after gastric sleeve surgery.
- Problems with balance or vertigo following gastric sleeve surgery
- Chest tightness after gastric sleeve surgery
- Back or shoulder pain
- A feeling of having a dry mouth
- Hiccups following the procedure to insert a gastric sleeve
- A headache following the gastric sleeve operation
Indications or symptoms manifest themselves between one week and three months after surgery.
- Reflux months after having the gastric sleeve procedure performed
- Nausea experienced months after having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy
- Discomfort caused by the incisions
- Fatigue and lack of energy following bariatric surgery for weight loss
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Acid Reflux
- Alopecia after having the gastric sleeve procedure done
- Rhinorrhea, also known as a runny nose
- Intolerance to particular types of food
- Dumping syndrome